A place for me to blabbler on and on about spinning, wheels, fibers, yarns, crocheting, and such, and to offer various crochet/fiber/spinning related items for sale.

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Cheese & Crackers

So it's a New Year. I learned something in the last few hours of last year. For as far back as I can remember my family has had cheese and crackers on New Years. I don't remember a time when we didn't or a year that we skipped. I thought it was our thing. So last night I'm doing the annual New Years Eve cutting of the cheese, and call my parents to see what cheese they have this year, are they staying up, etc. And find out they haven't done cheese for years! To be exact this is the 3 year they weren't doing cheese. Count back with me0 This year I live up here in the house, last year I lived up here in the apartment, and the year before that we were in the hotel for New Years while Nick did some job stuff and we looked for an apartment! Turns out it isn't my families thing at all, it's mine!!! This shocking bit of info made my head spin, I felt dizzy, nauseus, the world was definently spinning faster then usual. "No cheese and crackers? I thought you guys loved it?" Sensing my upsetness my Mom sends my aunt that is visiting into cut cheese in the kitchen (yes I see the humor in that comment) so that they can all have one cheese cracker before bed! I can't believe that all these years, I was the cheese and cracker one! I made it our annual thing!!! I am the reason why my Dad would go out on New Years Eve and buy an assortment of cheese, crackers, and mustards (gotta have the mustards!) Don't get me wrong my Dad loves cheese and crackers, but the New Years thing has nothing to do with it! He did have a few cheesy crackers yesterday morning, but not for New Years, just cause he likes it! I had no idea that I was the one. This startling revelation was something I pondered until well after the ball dropped.

And about the ball dropping, I missed it!! every year (for as far back as I can remember) I would eat cheese and crackers, and watch the ball drop, never missing it. I would always be in the room, watching the TV the see the actual countdown. This year I missed it. I was pondering the cheese and crackers when I started playing a video game with Nick, a fighting one I tend to always win those, and had like 20 minutes left. Suddenly I turn around to go back to my chair after I finished playing, and see the confetti, and people kissing on TV! I Missed it!!

I did start a freeform scarf during my wait for the ball to drop. I've made about 6 motifs, I'm thinking it'll take about 50, maybe more. this is my first freeform project. My lovely SP6 Tracey sent me a Free form book during my spoildom. Thanks Tracey!! adn I'm finally starting a project. My recent 15' long Ice Queen scarf left me with some random yarn remnants I want to use. The Ice Queen was supposed to be 10'. I DIdn't formaly measure it to get started. I am 5'8 so i did a chainf rom my toe to my neck, and back down. Sounds good in theory right? Well when it was finished I measured and it's 15' long!!! It has stripes going long ways so one stripe goes the entire length of the scarf, and I worked it to make the width I wanted. It's a great scarf. So I'm using the remnant to make a free form. We'll see how it goes.

I'm going to start a fiber arts magazine. To debut in hopefully April. It's be a fun, funky, cool magazine with all sorts of stuff to see,read, feel (sample yarns attached!) and more. It isn't focused on just one fiber art, and it is just as likely to include a poem as an article or a pttern. Want more info? email me! I'll also be posting more about it sometime soon.

Happy New Year everyone!