A place for me to blabbler on and on about spinning, wheels, fibers, yarns, crocheting, and such, and to offer various crochet/fiber/spinning related items for sale.

Friday, December 30, 2005

My 9 hr ER visit! Pt 1

Weds. afternoon my side started hurting. I thought it was a pulled muscle from inventory at work and my crazy friend Rose jumping on me. So I handle the pain Weds night by spending the whole night moaning on the couch. Then Yesterday I went to work. I knew I shouldn't have. I knew it was a bad idea. But It was either go to work or have Nick take me to the hospital. I HATE going to the hospital or doctor, even when I'm sick I'd do anything before I'd do that. So I went to work at 8. At 10:30 I was in tears begging to go home. I call Nick and he starts the procedure of leaving work and coming home.

While I'm waiting for him to come home, and I am in excruitating pain I realize I have to find out where the hospital is! So I go to neighbor a (the cop, she'll know for sure!) not home. Neighbor b (the couple that was lived here since 73) not home. Neighbor C, (the mom of 4!) nope not home. So I look around, and in a moment of despiration I went to the very last neighbor I'd probably ever go to for anything, my direct next door neighbor. The home of the insane lady and crazy guy. The people who never drive anywhere yet have 6 cars. The people that we believe may have illegially entered our backyard and brutally attacked our pond plant. I take a deep breath, and knock.

In my horrible pain, I realize when he answers that I have no idea what to say! I think I introduced myself! So he drew me a map, and I headed home, after kindly telling him I know they had problems with the people we bought our house from, and that I don't want there to be problems between us, so if they ever need anything just come on over. Did I mention I was in seriouusssssssssss pain?

So then Nick came home and the real story starts. We get to the hospital at 12. We check in. The estimated wait time is 3 hours. We wait. Finally at 1, the wait time increases to 4 hours. We wait. At about 1:30 I go back for a few basic questions. They sit me down and say they'll be right back. I wait. I wait. I wait. Finally some guy nurse comes in, and I said "I really gotta pee, do I need to take the pee test or can I just go now?" To which he laughs and says "Yeah you might as well take it the bathroom is there (points) and cups are already in there." So I go, I pee, I fill the cup and still have more (and they think it's my kidney!) I return. I set the cup down and wait. While waiting I look at the cup and notice my pee is neon yellow. My vitamins. Tuesday morning Nick starting making sure I remember my vitamins. What a great time to remember my vitamins! So finally she comes back. She asks questions. She looks at the cup "Whooaaaaaa! Your pee is really bright yellow!!" I smile sheepishly, "My Vitamins. My Vitamins do that." She was visably relieved.

So I go back to the waiting room. It's about 2 now, and the time has increased to 5 hours. We wait. Come 3:30, we still hadn't actually seen anybody. SO I go ask, while asking how long the wait is they decided to increase it to 6 hours! I asked if my test results came back, negative on the kidneys. I sit back down and call my Mom, to complain rather loudly. And what do you know!!! They came and got me! I had to hang up with her to go back!!! So we go back. They press on my side so hard I nearly vomit. I get an IV, which hurt like &%#*. They ask questions. Then they say what every woman fears:

You





Need




To



Get




A



Pelvic




Exam.



I nearly cry! A pelvic exam? But I am in a room with just a big curtain for a door! I haven't had any time to freshen up a bit. I agree to have it done there. It's either have it done in the curtain room, or wait an insane number of hours for a regular room. So They toss a robe at me. When I'm in pain I worry about the stupidest things. I said to Nick "If I wear a robe my butt is going to hang out!!" Forget the fact that I was about to be spread eagled right there, I don't want my butt hanging out! So we do the exam. Everything feel normal. She asks if it's uncomfortable. I say "Is it ever comfortable? You have a giant thing spreading me apart!" She laughs.

I have to get a CT Scan. They tell me they'll bring me my "cocktail" in the waiting room. Again.
So we return to the waiting room, where despite the crowd we are able to get the same seats as before!

So about 5 minutes later the waitress delivers my cocktail. I shake it. I open my straw. We struggle to actually open the big jar, and then I start to sip...



This is part one of the story, there is so much to come! But I am exhausted, and still in pain! So I'll post part 2, and possibly 3 if it gets long enough, later as I feel up to it.


On a completely different note, I want to get better at knitting. All I can do is a rectangle or square. I can make limitless plain scarfs, pillows, etc, but that's all. I want to make more stuff.