A place for me to blabbler on and on about spinning, wheels, fibers, yarns, crocheting, and such, and to offer various crochet/fiber/spinning related items for sale.

Friday, January 27, 2006

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I had the worst day yesterday. A migraine from 11 am to ohhhhh 4 am today. Annoying customers coming out the wahzoo. And when I looked at the mail they are trying to screw us with our electric/gas bill. Supposedly the average tempature was 40, according the weather service which they said is where they get their info it was 46, and that is why we used more gas for the heater. She tried to explain, and what a dumb woman she was, that with the tempature lower this monththen last month, last month's average was 36 the lower of the two, that when our heat was on it took more gas to heat it to the right tempature. Which makes sense, I know that factually that is what happens. But how exactly does she explain that with a higher average tempature last month, two weeks of weather so warm the heat wasn't even turned on, and the heat rarely coming on for the other two, with a higher average tempature that we used more gas. Every explaination she had was butt backwards, using her lack of math ability to say this month's average was lower, or saying well maybe we got a new tv or something that used mroe energy, the problem was with the gas and last I checked tvs don't run on gas! And we didn't get anything new last month, anything that uses electricity or gas anyway. So anyway they are "investigating" our bill. I refuse to pay it. I will not pay $285 and some change for a month when we barely watched tv and the heat was off for 2 weeks!!

In work/money related news: I think everyone who reads this knows I work at AC Moore, a craft store similair (but better is so many ways) to Michaels. We have classes. Well a week or so ago I decided I want a little extra money coming in, and maybe would cave and teach classes like the classroom coordinator has asked me to. So I grab the calendars. What do I know that isn't being taught? I pondered, I read day by day the schedule for two months. And I noticed.... In Febuary there were no beading classes. So I went to the classroom and asked why. Turns out the teacher was a flake at actually scheduling classes, and the fact that she's only been beading for a year (something i know for a fact because she told me, and something the classroom corrdinator was suspectious of) we decided I might be better for the job. So I took in a big bucket of samples. And I spent the whole morning nervous. Everyone that heard I had samples in the classroom ran to look, and all morning I was hearing "Your stuff is so awesome/great/amazing/... My favorite is..." But I never have confidence in myself and my stuff, so I felt like it sucked, surely I could have done better, I know she won't want me to teach.... So she calls me in, I walk as slowly as possible, and prepare myself. Last time I attempted to teach a class in an actual store (I used to teach online classes all the time) I was so depressed afterwards, because well the lady was an idiot. So I went to the classroom and she loved it all. We talked for a minute about classes. I thought she wanted me to teach not THE beading/Jewelry class, but more like a come this day and make this project kind of thing. So I picked a few pieces I'd like to teach. Then I was talking to her the other day about what I need to teach, and I said "I know you don't want me to teach basic beading becuase you have the other lady..." and she says "Oh she doesn't teach anymore, you're the new teacher." Let me just say :0 WHAT!!??!?!? When was she planning on telling me?!?!? So ot I have to make some samples, create a slyabus, and pick two days to do them, in teh month of March by Feb 1. I'm going to do two a month 1 Basic Beading and Jewelry Making where I'll teach the basic stuff and 2 intermediate beading, where we'll complete a harder project.

I'll also be making a little extra money this weekend. We have a free "Yarn Event" Tomorrow at work, which I get overtime from 11-3 by demoing the knifty knitter. If you live near an AC Moore, you should call them and see if they are having one (they should be) and try to check it out. There will be demos of all sorts of things (they vary by store) and knitting/crochet lessons and Q&A, giveaways, 25% of all yarn and yarn doodads etc etc. Sunday I am working about 2.5 hours to do a birthday party. And easy $40!

Now in yarn/fiber news:
I started the Branching Out lace scarf. I know I already have one (thanks Tracey!) but it is the only lace project that I found that says it's easy for a beginner and I actually like the pattern. So far it's going okay. I'm only on the second pattern repeat (it says I should be able to get 27) and I've had to frog a row here and there and do it over, but it's coming along rather nicely. Knitting lace is definently more fun (and addicting) then a regular old scraf. I can't wait to sit down and work on my knit scarf. Since looking for mroe lace patterns I have discovered that I like the one with a more patterned (for example branches/leaves/etc) then the ones that are just lacey with holes or diamonds in them. Know what I mean?

Also between Feb 10th, and The end of April (whatever that exact date is) I'm not going to buy any yarn for myself. I buy yarn for my fiber goddaughter and my sp7, but not for myself. Yarn doodads are allowed, but no yarn! So I'll use up my stash more. But I can say that I will DEFINENTLY be placing a knitpicks order before 2/10! I've been wanting to work with alpaca, and also make a wool felted something, don't know what yet, so I'm buying some from there. But My SP7 or Fiber Godmother, if you're reading this it isn't against the rules for you to send me yarn! *wink wink* (laughing) See I want to try more yarn snob like yarns, but can't see to justify spending the money when I have so much yarn already. And it's just so easy for me to go to work adn buy some Lion Brand or something, and go home with yarn that day, then to order it and have to wait. I'm hoping this slight break will show me that it isn't about Quantity (okay so it is a little bit, or a lot) but that it's about Quality (which I don't just have any cheap crap yarn anyway)

I do think that that is all the updating I can do. I've been trying to post for a few days but blogger wasn't working right for me.