A place for me to blabbler on and on about spinning, wheels, fibers, yarns, crocheting, and such, and to offer various crochet/fiber/spinning related items for sale.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

This, That, & SP7 questions

Recently I decided to share the fiber wealth and make stuff for charity. Me being the sucker for kids I am I decided to make baby hats/booties/blankets for preemies, and children who are sick or just poor. So I've been making a few hats.

A few weeks ago I decided I HAD to have the Knifty Knitter Loom set. And I was going to buy it at work the next day, and then we were sold out. So I waited, and waited, and waited. Over 2 weeks I waited. Then finally yesterday it came in!!! Just in time I might add to make more baby hats! I just have to have EVERYTHING that has to do with yarn and fiber!

Have I talked about my soon to be weaving loom yet? Well my Aunt, who has a loom I've been wanting to buy (we're talking a full size, 8 shaft, floor loom here) has decided that instead of selling it to me, she will loan it to me for an extended period. That way if she ever has the time to use it, she can get it back instead of having to buy another. I think it's a GREAT idea. BEcause a) she's always super busy and it'll probably be ages before she wants it back (if ever) b)I might decide to upgrade and get a new one before that day may come c) I may have picked a new hobby by then, or decided I don't like weaving. So I should be getting that. I'm also saving to buy a tri-loom next month. The one I'm going to get is 7' adjustable down to 3.5' So I can make lots of sizes. It's be super!!!!

And for some reason unknown (or not understood anyway) even to me I am serious thinking about buying a knitting machine! The "Ultimate Sweater Machine" I dunno why. But like I said I simpyl must have everything that involves yarn and fiber!

Saturday an interesting message was on the machine when I woke up. Interesting you ask? Yes! A friend I haven't seen or spoken to for about 2 years called! Wanted to get in touch, be buds again, etc etc. So I called back and so far it's going fab!

Now without futher addo the SP7 questions, so I can finish this post and go make dinner.

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? I LOVE Lion Brand, but I rarely ever use Red Heart. I love novelty yarns. I would love to try different yarns, I'm just kinda cheap, so I always buy the cheaper stuff instead of fancy stuff. I'd love to try some of the higher end stuff on the market. Don't get me wrong I don't just use $2 skein stuff, but I just haven't tried the higher end stuff like Goddess, Cashmere of any kind, Silk, etc etc.

2. Do you spin? Crochet? I Do spin(on spindles and my wheel,) I also crochet. While I do knit, knitting to me is very very secondary. I crochet first, knit last. Knitting to me isn't a big thing.

3. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? Umm well they are everywhere so.... I keep my hooks in both a fancy holder, well not super fancy it's a plastic thing that came with my nice set) and also in a tall MnMs tube, and some extra in a ziploc. My needles are in jars because I do have a super nice holder (provided by my lovely SP6) but I just haven't gotten around to putting stuff in it yet.

4. How long have you been knitting? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? Okay. So I crochet, have known how for almost 10 years, but only actively doing it for almost a year. I'd say I'm about an advanced intermediate in crochet. In Spinning, I've been doing it about 6 months or so, I'm still a beginner, but my yarn does look good. Knitting, I've known how as far back as I can remember, but since I'm not a big fan and I hardly ever do it I'm only a beginner.

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? I do have an amazon wishlist. I dunno the link, but I think it comes up if my name is searched.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.) Clean Linen, anything berry, frankincense, patchouli, mrryh, and more just nothing spicy.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? Oh yeah. favorite? All of it!

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Everything. I sew, make candles, make soaps, weave on a kiddie loom, collage a little, scrapbook, rubberstamp, and so much mroe. i really do everything.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD) I like 60s & 70s music, like janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Terry Jacks, and disco. I also love cool girl music like Fiona Apple, Tori Amos, Sarah Mcgluchlin (yeah I know i can't spell) Avril Lavigne, etc etc. And I like weird stuff, like polka. And yeah I think it plays MP3s.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand? I LOVE blue all shades, it's my ultimate fav. I also love green though, all shades of that too. I like browns, black, reds/oranges. I do HATE purple, and can hardly stand pink.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? Married no kids yet. Two cats and a dog.

12. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? Scarves, oh yeah. I own several dozen. I tend to dress like a gyspy so scarves are my friend. Hats yeah. Mittens, no but gloves yes. And Ponchos- YES! I wore them even beofre they were "cool" again!

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? Umm I like alot. I love Lion brand Homespun, The cotton stuff, I used some Katia once, that was pretty nice, So far everythign I've tried from Knitpicks is great. I am in love with Alpaca cloud. I haven't tried as many styles as I would like.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I'm not a big fan of fun fur, but I still own it. I don't like the Red Heart Classic, cause it's scratchy.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s? Knitting Obession? Don't have one. In fact it really bugs me that all this questions are so knitting centered when this swap is for all! Crochet obsession? probably scarves. I've also been makign baby hats.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? To crochet you mean? Everything! But I only make wearble type stuff, no home decor or anything.

17. What are you knitting right now? Crocheting!!!!!!!!! This knitting thing is really buggin me! I am crocheting so many different projects it really isn't funny!

18. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? YEs!

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Straight.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? All of thee above.

21. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? I own a ball winder, but not a swift. I tend to use a variety of chairs lol.

22. How did you learn to knit? Don't remember. To CROCHET my Mom taught me.

23. How old is your oldest UFO? A few months.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird? I love the Simpsons, Family Guy, Sanrio Stuff, and others. I love cats, dogs, dolphins, sheep, and more.


25. What is your favorite holiday? Halloween.

26. Is there anything that you collect? Oh yeah. Mr Potato Head (and mrs, and Kids, and anything else Potato) Goddesses a little, fairies a little, old cool trinket boxes and jewelry boxes, weird stuff, novelties (anything that isn't the size it's supposed to be) 60's/70's stuff and more.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? CROCHET!!!!!!!!!! CROCHET magazines!!!!!!!!! None.

28. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on?There are so many yarns I want to try, there are also a ton of patterns.

29. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn? Not really.

30. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? Sock knitter no! But I've corhceted a few. Foot size? Big! I'll post actual measurements later.

31. When is your birthday? (mm/dd) 7/30