A place for me to blabbler on and on about spinning, wheels, fibers, yarns, crocheting, and such, and to offer various crochet/fiber/spinning related items for sale.

Sunday, October 23, 2005

A Yarn Day

Today a friend of mine and I headed out the to DC Knit Out & Crochet. It wasn't quite what I expected, but it would have been if I took the time to read the brochure they gave us. It turnes out we could have spent several more hours there (instead of the 45 minutes that we did) and have gotten more goodies if we read the brochure. We both know how to knit and crochet, but if we did "learn to..." lessons for either we would have gotten a goody. I was very upset that there was a scarf contest that they completely failed to mention online, so I didn't take one. Then we tried to find a nearby yarn store with no such luck. Apparently the lady at the event had no idea how to get to her own store. So on the way back to where we started after we made a giant circle we stopped to have a potty break, and I got a nosebleed. so I had to walk around DC holding a tissue to my nose, while squeezing to try and stop it. With yarn shopping already in mine we headed to AC Moore. As we walked in there was a sign advertising that they need seasonal help. So as we shopped I filled one out.

Well as she paid for her new yarn, the lack of a job has run out my yarn funding so I didn't get anything, I turned in the application and asked to meet the manager. He saw I was willing to work full time and .....



.....




.....




.....




......





......


Hired me as the new full-time (and not just seasonal) Wedding & Candle Department Merchandiser!!! From what he said apparently I will kinda be like the department manager. I will stock, order inventory, help customers, and more. The schedule is perfect! The pay is perfect! The discount will be amazing!!! I start tomorrow. I have to be in at 9 to fill out paperwork and such. On the way I have to stop and buy a lock for my locker, and some nasal spray for allergies. I'm nervous. I feel like I will be expected to know something I don't, or they will just expect me to know and walk off and leave me to "my" department. I know it's stupid. But if I wasn't nervous I'd be like unhuman, so I have to nervous about something!


On a different note I got another wonderful package from my secret pal! It arrived yesterday, I think it was yesterday this whole allergy/sinus/cold? thing has me to out of it to really tell. Here's a picture:
It had a great book on freeform crochet, with pattern for the motifs, and a few patterns for finished items. I can't wait to try it!!!! I have been wanting to try freeform.

A pattern for felted slippers. It's one of the great fiber trend patterns she sends, in a plastic sleeve, with a full color picture (a real picture) of the finished project

Some Harry Potter Acid Pops. Lollipops that are kinda sizzly at first in an apple flavor. They are great!

A Brittany crochet hook! it's so beautiful I was comtemplating framing it to hang on the wall instead of actually using it

3 skiens of Alpaca Cloud from Knit picks in Tidepool, and!! It managed to be the same dyelot as the ones I bought! I was worried I might run out when I start my shawl, but I know 8 skiens will be enough! I had a bit of a balling party last night, so while I was at it I balled these too.

2 skiens of Knitpick Sock Garden yarn in Pansy, a great combo of yellow, purple, black, and fuschia.

And 2 skiens of Moda Dea "Ricochet" yarn in a great reds/oranges combo.

I think that's everything. I had scattered the package a bit through the house, but I think I regathered everything for the photo. (added later-) I just realized that I also got a pair of circular bamboo takumi knitting needles that didn't make it in the picture! Thanks pal!


Oh and just for kicks here's a picture of my yarn cabinet. I have outgrown this one, I think I'll be putting a bigger cabinet on the shopping list now that I'm working again. There was a great cabinet with fold down doors at Bj's for $100. It came with 12 fancy scrapbooks that I wouldn't use, but man the cabinet was nice! I have all this, plus boxes and boxes that my Mom gave me (picture still to come) and ton of balls I wound laying all over the downstairs bookcase, and a few more scattered in various bags from the store lol. Can you tell looking at it that I love blue and greens?

While I was on vaction my mom loaned me her large assortment of knitting needles. Their nothing fancy, just regular metal needles ( and a small few of plasic ones) we figured right now I'm working with yarn and she's quilting instead. There's no point in me paying $4+ for needles when she has a ton she isn't using. If she ever needs them then I'll give them back, because by then I'll probably have a good stash of fancier ones. I also got a stack of various fiber arts books. Crochet, knitting, weaving, etc. Nothing like shopping at Mom's lol.


Well I am off to bed. I want to read a little and still be in bed early to be ready for tomorrow.