A place for me to blabbler on and on about spinning, wheels, fibers, yarns, crocheting, and such, and to offer various crochet/fiber/spinning related items for sale.

Monday, October 03, 2005

Socks + Harry Potter

I haven't posted for a few days. Not much has really happened.

Saturday we went out for a day of fun. We saw The Corpse Bride, which I loved, but Nick didn't. We went to two yardsales were we got 4 books and a kids weaving loom for me. It isn't a peg loom, it's actually a pretty decent little loom. It has a very interesting heddle which you pull up and push down to move the threads. It's pretty nifty. We also got at various stores throughout the day:
Matrix 1 + 2 dvds
Harry Potter 1,2, + 3 dvds
A Harry Potter Gameboy game
4 Harry Potter COmputer Games- a box set with Sorcerers Stone, Chamber of Secrets, Prisioner of Azkaban, and Quidditch World Cup.
A BIG Mr Potato Head that is filled with other Potato Heads and pieces. It's Safari Mr P, and comes with animal parts.
And I think another thing or two that I'm forgetting.

Yesterday I placed big orders at both Knitpicks, and Mielkes. Ordered $75 worth of yarn, and $75 worth of roving. I ordered lots of sock yarns, and a variety of other yarns. I ordered some lace weight alpaca to try to make a lacy shawl. At Mielkes I order all natural colored rovings so that I can dye them myself. I also ordered the roving to spin the yarn to make my Aunt a throw.

Now I just need to go to the store and buy some yarn to make my cousins prayer shawls. I started with the idea to make one cousin one to try to help her with what she is going through right now. Then I figured each of her sisters have their own problems to. One is in New Mexico doing volunteer work, and one is 18 which is hard enough without problems. So I decided to make each of them one. I decided to use Lion Brand Homespun because it:
is thick so it works up fast
Is inexpensive (but doesn't feel cheap)
It is acrylic and machine washable but is soft and feels luxurious
Come is some natural colors that are't bright and flashy, and they are Mennonites, so flashy isn't a good idea
and it's one of my favorite yarns.

And incase you're wondering we're not rich. We don't just spend money like crazy all the time. We got a BIG refund check from our old mortgage company when we refinanced the house, and we decided to use part of it to treat ourselves.

Here's the socks I have made so far. I love the green/tan/white one. The reddish plumyish color is comfy, but not quite as nice looking.